Test & Certificates
TCF (Test de Connaissance du Français)
The TCF is the French language test awarded by the French Ministry of Education:
- TCF assesses a person’s level of French language for general purposes. It is intended for people who are not native French speakers and who, for professional, personal or academic reasons, wish to have their competency in French assessed and certified simply, reliably and quickly.
- The TCF is a standard graded test designed by the CIEP, a language tester and member of ALTE, based on an extremely rigorous method that makes it a valid means of assessing language skills.
- All candidates receive a certificate of results that grades them at one of six levels (from A1 to C2) on the competency scale defined by the Council of Europe (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages). This means that it is not possible to fail the TCF.
- Since December 2002, the TCF has been certified in accordance with ISO 9001:2000 standard.
- There is an electronic version of the TCF that candidates can use to take the test on a computer.
Who can take the TCF?
Any non-French-speaker who, for personal, academic or professional reasons, wants to have their competency in French assessed and certified reliably and by way of a recognised test. Please note: The TCF was designed to be taken by older teenagers (aged 16 or over) and adults. You do not need to have any qualifications or prepare in any specific way in order to take the TCF.
Why should I take the TCF?For:
Personal reasons: This test gives an assessment of the candidate's competency in French (listening and reading comprehension, spoken and written expression), potentially with a view to improving it. It is a kind of linguistic snapshot of the candidate's level of French at the time of taking the test;
Professional reasons: It provides objective information that candidates can show to institutions or companies, to help them secure a job or a promotion;
Academic reasons: The TCF, consistent with international standards, is a reliable assessment of a candidate's linguistic abilities that is taken into account for admission to higher education institutions (universities, Grandes Ecoles, art schools, schools of architecture, business schools, etc.).
For more information about cost and planning contact us, and visit http://www.ciep.fr/en/tcf/.